Can I use a steam mop on my bamboo floor?
This entry was posted on March 13, 2019 by chris elliott
No, you should never use a steam mop on your bamboo floor. Although bamboo floors are known for their strength and durability, they are not waterproof. Using a steam mop could greatly damage your bamboo floor. The steam could penetrate into the bamboo by getting in between the planks. Consequently, your bamboo floor will start to absorb the steam and/or water. This could result in your bamboo becoming discoloured, warping and even lifting up. If this happens, your bamboo flooring will be ruined and irreparable.
Bamboo flooring is fairly water resistant but can still become damaged by water or steam. You should always wipe away water or liquid spills form the surface of your bamboo straight away. Never let the water soak into the bamboo.
You should never use a steam mop on a wooden or laminate floor either.
How should I clean my bamboo floor?
Cleaning your bamboo floor
can be extremely straight forward. Here are the best steps to take:
- Wipe away any spills as soon as you notice them.
- Sweep you bamboo on a daily basis. This will eliminate a build-up of dust and dirt on the surface.
- Always use a soft bristle brush. You can use a vacuum cleaner, but make sure it has a wooden floor cleaning attachment.
- Clean your bamboo floor with a wood floor cleaning spray and microfibre mop. We recommend the following: Bona Wood Floor Cleaning Kit.
- You can use a damp mop and water, but make sure the mop is fully wrung out. No excess water should be left on the surface of the bamboo.
- Avoid using anything that could damage your floor. Never use harsh, acidic or abrasive chemical cleaners.
- Do not use furniture polish on your bamboo floor. It can leave an extremely slippery residue that is hard to remove.
For further cleaning advice, have a read through our Bamboo Care Guide.
[caption id="attachment_44" align="aligncenter" width="300"]
Bona Wood Floor Spray Mop[/caption]