To make sure that the bamboo flooring you purchase is truly environmentally friendly and not adding to the destruction of any forests, the company selling the flooring should have a Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certificate. The FSC is an independent, non-profit organisation that promotes the responsible management of the world’s forests. They were established in 1994 and aim to address the exploitation and mismanagement of forests, whilst promoting the social biodiversity and ecological value of them through long term forestry management plans.
When a company has been awarded an FSC certificate, it means that every business involved in the chain of production of the flooring product (forest owner, farmer, manufacturer and seller) shares the FSC values and ideals and has also been awarded FSC certification. Regular checks are carried out to ensure that these values and ideals are upheld.
Why look for the FSC logo?
• You can identify, purchase and use bamboo (or timber) products with a clear conscience that it is not adding to the destruction of the world’s forests.
• Natural resources and products are processed and produced in ways to ensure that a healthy ecological balance is maintained.
• It guarantees that the bamboo (or timber) are allowed to regenerate naturally or replaced if necessary.
• The bamboo (or timber) is tracked from the forest, to the seller, ensuring that every part of the chain is FSC certified.
• Parts of the forest are protected to ensure that rare animals and plants are protected.
• It offers assurance that future generations will be able to enjoy the natural benefits of forests.
• The rights of indigenous people to use the forest are protected.
• Local workers are employed and trained to run the forest, and given appropriate safety equipment and a decent salary in order to support the local communities.