Bamboo flooring is known for needing very little care, cleaning and maintenance. The best way to keep your bamboo floor clean is to prevent dust and dirt from accumulating in the first place. Bamboo flooring is durable and hardwearing but by placing doormats outside and inside of all exterior doors, you will help to reduce the amount of dirt, gravel and grit brought onto your floor. In addition to using doormats, all outdoor footwear should be removed before walking on your bamboo floor, especially if they are particularly dirty or wet.
When it comes to cleaning your bamboo floor, these simple steps will help to make it a quick and easy process:
1. Clean away any spills, accidents or dirt as soon as you notice it.
2. Sweep and/or dust your floor using a soft bristle brush on a regular basis to remove dust, dirt and pet hair. This should be done on a daily basis in high traffic areas such as hallways and living spaces.
The following should be avoided when cleaning bamboo floors:
• Vacuum cleaners – they can scratch and dent bamboo floors, unless they have a specially designed fitting for wooden/bamboo floors.
• Water – a damp mop that has been totally wrung out can be used, but too much water can cause swelling and damage to your bamboo floor.
• Steam mops – the floor may absorb the steam and as a result will warp, distort and swell.
• Furniture polish or wax – it can leave a greasy and slippery residue that can be difficult to remove.