February 16, 2023
Differences between horizontal and vertical bamboo flooringHorizontal and vertical are the different ways in which the planks of bamboo flooring have been constructed. Horizontal bamboo flooring has an appearance like bamboo because the plank is assembled with horizontal strips of bamboo showing a wider and more obvious grain pattern. Alternatively, with vertical bamboo flooring the bamboo grain is less obvious as the planks of flooring have been constructed using thin, vertical strips of bamboo, which give a more textured appearance. [caption id="attachment_294" align="aligncenter" width="501"] Horizontal[/caption] [caption id="attachment_295" align="aligncenter" width="501"] Vertical[/caption]
How horizontal and vertical bamboo flooring are madeFor both types (horizontal and vertical bamboo flooring), the bamboo grass is harvested, dried and cut into thin strips. If the end result of the flooring is to be carbonised then the raw strips of bamboo are smoked to produce a rich brown tone to the flooring. If the end result is for the flooring to be of a natural colour, the raw strips of bamboo are left in their natural state. To achieve horizontal bamboo flooring, the strips of bamboo are glued together horizontally and machined to form a plank of flooring. To achieve vertical bamboo flooring, the strips of bamboo are glued together vertically and machined to form a plank of flooring. A protective layer of lacquer is then applied to the planks of flooring, before a tongue and groove or click system profile is added by machine. Finally, another layer of protective lacquer is added to complete the floor before it is ready to be packaged.
Similarities between horizontal and vertical bamboo flooring
- Both types of flooring are available in either a natural colour of pale, golden brown tones, or a carbonised effect where the bamboo has been smoked offering richer, darker brown tones.
- Both horizontal bamboo flooring and vertical bamboo flooring are dimensionally stable products, meaning that they can be installed in areas with underfloor heating or rooms with fluctuations in temperature and humidity.
- Both types of bamboo flooring can either be glued down or loose laid over an underlay.
- Both are easy to maintain and ideal for allergy sufferers.
- Both horizontal bamboo flooring and vertical bamboo flooring have a similar strength and durability to Oak flooring.