April 27, 2023
How to prevent damage to your bamboo floorPrevent scratches and damage to your bamboo floor by following these simple steps:
- If a spill occurs it should be wiped away immediately, ensuring that the water does not soak into the flooring. Spills and water accidents should never be left to sit on bamboo flooring for any amount of time.
- Place doormats at entrances to wipe moisture, dirt and grit from shoes or boots before walking on the floor.
- To prevent dirt and water from damaging and scratching the floor, shoes and other footwear should be removed and left in a porch or garage (not on the bamboo floor).
- Protect the bamboo floor from scratches and dents by attaching anti-scratch felt pads to the bottom of furniture.
- Never drag sharp or heavy objects (including, furniture, toys, stiletto heeled shoes, etc) across a bamboo floor. It may cause dents, scratches and damage to the floor.
How to clean your bamboo floorTo prevent a build-up of dirt, bamboo floors should be swept and cleaned on a regular basis. If dirt is walked on it can cause scratches to the floor, so high traffic areas such as hallways, kitchens and living rooms, should be swept daily with a soft bristle broom to remove grit and dust from the surface of the floor. Rooms with less traffic can be swept and cleaned weekly, or as necessary. After dust and dirt has been removed from the floor, a microfibre cloth and PH neutral wooden floor cleaning spray should be used to clean away any stubborn dirt or stains. Water and a damp mop can also be used but may not be as effective at removing dirt and stains as a wooden floor cleaner. Ensure that the mop is wrung out completely before using it to prevent excess water being left of the surface of the floor. Although bamboo flooring is more resistant to moisture than hardwood flooring, a wet mop should never be used to clean the floor as excess water may soak into the bamboo and cause it to stain, warp and distort.
Things not to do to a bamboo floor
- Never use anything that contains ammonia, or any abrasive or acidic products. They can cause damage and scratch the bamboo flooring.
- Never use oil, wax or furniture polish. They can leave a greasy residue on the surface of the bamboo floor.
- Never use excess water to mop a bamboo floor. Ensure the mop is wrung out fully before it is used as excess water will seep into the floor causing the deep staining, swelling and distortion.
- Never use a steam mop to clean a bamboo floor because the steam and heat could cause the floor to warp and distort.
- If using a vacuum cleaner, always ensure that a cleaning head specially designed for wooden floors is used. This will help to reduce the chance of scratching the floor.