orders over £500*
How to Measure Flooring
How to Measure Flooring
Before you buy any bamboo flooring, you must measure your floor space accurately to ensure that you have enough flooring to cover the area, but also have minimal wastage.
To do this you will need:
- tape measure
Measuring a square or rectangular room
If your room is a straight forward square or rectangle, then it is quick and easy to measure. Follow the simple steps below:
- Measure the length of the room (e.g. 4m)
- Measure the width of the room (e.g. 3m)
- Multiply the length and width together (e.g. 4m x 3m = 12m²)
4.You will also need to add on 5% to your final measurement for wastage (e.g. 12m² x 1.05 = 12.6m²)
5.In this example, the total flooring you need to order is 12.6m²
Measuring an irregular shaped room
If your room is not a regular shape, things may not be as straight forward but it is still easy to measure if you follow these simple steps:
- Make a rough drawing of the shape of the room on a piece of paper
- Split the room into sections of clearly identifiable squares or rectangles
- Take the first section and measure the length (e.g. 4m)
- Continue with the first section and measure the width (e.g 1.5m)
- Now work out the area of this first section by multiplying the length and width together (e.g. 4m x 1.5m = 6m²)
- Now take the second section of the room and measure the length (e.g. 2m)
- Continue with the second section and measure the width (e.g. 1.5m )
- Now work out the area of this second section by multiplying the length and width together (e.g. 2m x 1.5m = 3m²)
- Add the areas of the two sections of room together. (e.g. 6m² + 3m² = 9m²
This approach can also be used if the room is split into more than two sections. Just work out the areas of all the individual sections and add them together. Then add on the 5% for wastage.
Hints and tips for measuring a room
- Always try to measure your room in metres as this is how the flooring is sold
- Measure accurately - don’t guess the size of your room!
- Always use a calculator and double check your calculations
- Always add on 5% to your final area for wastage
- Measure right into your door frames as flooring may be installed into your doorway
If you have any problems with working out your area you can send us a drawing by email, fax or post, and we can work it out for you.
fax: 0116 2741046
post: Unit 5, Euston Street, Freemens Common, Leicester, LE2 7ST.