orders over £500*
Bamboo flooring has many advantages over other types of flooring and is quickly becoming popular with homeowners, architects and commercial developers. Bamboo is an extremely durable, eco-friendly and cost effective floor covering that still adds the warmth, character and beauty of a natural product.
All types of bamboo flooring are durable and considered a similar strength to Oak flooring. There is one particular type of bamboo flooring (Strand Woven Bamboo) that is exceptionally strong and hard-wearing due to the way in which it has been constructed, and is over twice as hard as Oak, making it a great choice for high traffic areas in domestic properties, and a popular flooring for commercial developments.
Not only is bamboo flooring hardwearing, it is also dimensionally stable, meaning that it can withstand changes in temperature and humidity, and can be fitted in a number of different ways over almost any subfloor:
• Bamboo flooring can be installed in conservatories or rooms with large amounts of glazing.
• You have the choice of floating your bamboo floor over an underlay or fixing it into position.
• You can install your bamboo floor over any subfloor that has been properly prepared.
• Most types of bamboo flooring can be used with underfloor heating (always check with us first).
Eco-friendly and sustainable
Bamboo is a renewable rapid growing grass that reaches maturity within around five years (compared to hardwood trees that can take over 25 years to mature). Once the bamboo crop has been harvested, it continues to grow from the root so does not need to be re-planted, making it a sustainable and eco-friendly floor covering.
Some of our bamboo floors are 100% FSC (Forest Stewardship Council), which means that the whole process from the forest to the retailer have undertaken checks to ensure that they are not adding to the destruction of the forest or surrounding local villages. When you see the FSC logo, you can be sure that:
• You can purchase the bamboo with a clear conscience, knowing that it is truly environmentally friendly.
• The bamboo has been allowed to regenerate naturally, and has been harvested in such a way to ensure a healthy ecological balance is maintained.
• Parts of the bamboo forest have been protected to ensure that any rare plants or animals are looked after.
• Local workers are employed to manage the forest, given an appropriate salary, trained accordingly and given safety equipment in order to support their local community.
Easy to install and maintain
Bamboo flooring can easily be installed by either loose laying it over an underlay or by fixing it into position. Most types of bamboo flooring are available with a click fitting system, making it even easier and more straight forward to install. See our ‘How to Install Bamboo Flooring’ section for more information.
Bamboo floors are extremely easy to maintain and look after. They should be swept using a soft brush and then cleaned with a wooden floor cleaning solution and microfibre mop. Any water spills or accidents need to be wiped away immediately to prevent the liquid soaking into the flooring. You can prevent damage to your bamboo floor by removing shoes before walking on it and applying felt protector pads to the bottom of furniture and heavy objects. For more cleaning advice, see our ‘Bamboo Flooring Care Guide’.
Bamboo floors are also ideal for allergy sufferers as they do not collect dust and dirt particles like carpets do. It is also resistant to mould and mildew that can grow in some deep pile carpets.
Cost effective natural flooring
Bamboo flooring is a cost effective and inexpensive alternative to hardwood, whilst still offering the beauty and elegance of a natural product. It can generally be found for about a third cheaper than an average hardwood floor. The great thing about bamboo flooring is that it is available in a variety of different styles, colours and finishes making it easy to choose something that will complement any large or small space. From the natural golden colour of bamboo to a darker coffee carbonised colour or even a grey bamboo floor, there are many options to choose from. We also have matching mouldings and flooring accessories that are sure to help you add the finishing touches to your room.