Bamboo flooring is really easy to look after and requires very little maintenance. The best way to keep the freshness of your new bamboo floor is to prevent damage and scratches from happening to the floor in the first place. We would also advise that you sweep and clean your floor on a regular basis.
How to prevent damage to your bamboo floor
Here are some tips on how to prevent scratches and damage to your bamboo floor:
• If a spill occurs you should wipe it away immediately, ensuring that the water does not soak into your bamboo flooring. Spills and water accidents should never be left to sit on the surface of the bamboo for any amount of time.
• Place doormats at entrances to wipe moisture, dirt and grit from shoes or boots before walking on your floor.
• To prevent dirt and water from damaging and scratching your floor, you should remove shoes and other footwear and leave them in a porch or garage (not on your bamboo floor).
• Protect your bamboo floor from scratches and dents by attaching anti-scratch felt protective pads to the bottom of furniture.
• Never drag sharp or heavy objects (including, furniture, toys, stiletto heeled shoes, etc) across your bamboo floor. It may cause dents, scratches and damage to the surface.
How to clean your bamboo floor
To prevent a build-up of dirt on your bamboo floor, you should sweep and clean on a regular basis. If dirt is walked on it can cause scratches to your floor, so high traffic areas such as hallways, kitchens and living rooms, should be swept daily with a soft bristle broom to remove grit and dust from the surface of the floor. Rooms with less traffic can be swept and cleaned weekly, or as regularly necessary.
After you have removed dust and dirt from your floor, a microfibre cloth and PH neutral wooden floor cleaning spray should be used to clean away any stubborn dirt or stains. We would recommend using a Bona Spray Mop. You can also use water and a damp mop but may not be as effective at removing dirt and stains as a specific wooden floor cleaner. If you choose to do this, you should ensure that the mop is wrung out completely before using it to prevent excess water being left of the surface of your floor.
Things not to do to your bamboo floor
• Never use anything that contains ammonia, or any abrasive or acidic products. They can cause damage and scratch the bamboo flooring.
• Never use oil, wax or furniture polish. They can leave a greasy residue on the surface of your bamboo floor.
• Don’t use excess water to mop a bamboo floor. Ensure the mop is wrung out fully before it is used as excess water will seep into the floor causing the deep staining, swelling and distortion.
• Never use a steam mop to clean a bamboo floor because the steam and heat could cause the floor to warp and distort.
• If using a vacuum cleaner, always ensure that a cleaning head specially designed for wooden floors is used. This will help to reduce the chance of scratching the floor.